Monday, February 22, 2016

Meat-less Dinner Week 1.

Today marks the 8th day on my meat-less dinner journey. I know it has only been a week, but I am pretty proud of myself that I managed to sustain this long. Before I started this whole thing, let's just say, that I am very anti-vegetarian. Don't get me wrong, I support people and also really look up to people who are vegetarian, vegan and such. But, it really wasn't my thing. 



I never thought of even trying to become go all vege because I love, love, love meat, so much. Every meal I had last time MUST contain some kind of meat and it was preferably chicken, pork, lamb or beef because I never really consider fish or seafood as meat. 

How did it all start? I literally woke up one day and decided I should start eating less meat. I think it's mainly because this year, I really want to better myself, overall. I thought why not start making small changes, like stop eating meat per meal, everyday. 

I didn't want to become fully vegetarian nor vegan, so I decided to go meat-less. I thought it was just something I made up, but then I google-ed and realize, meatless does exist and it exists as a campaign called 'Meatless Monday'. It's an international campaign that encourages people to not eat meat on Mondays, to improve their health and the health of the planet. Paul, Marry and Stella McCartney even launched a whole campaign called "Meatfree Monday", to support this. 


But, I dont think I can go a whole day without meat. So, I decided to go meatless everyday but just one meal. I am not vegetarian or vegan because I still eat meat, but just for breakfast or lunch. For dinner, its purely no meat, not even fish balls or fish cakes. My dinner meal usually consist of vegetables, beans, mushroom and egg.

For vegetables, I don't eat raw green salad everyday. I sometimes steam or stir fry it, depending on the vegetables. If I do eat them raw, I like to pair it with ranch. I know ranch isn't the healthiest salad dressing in the world, but it's my favourite. I believe, its important not to deprive yourself from things you like, even if you are taking care of your health because it's not what you eat, it's how much you eat.

If you asked me last year whether will I ever consider going meat-less for my diet, my answer will probably be no. But, now I am doing it and I am feeling really damn good about myself. Not just physically but mentally. I really recommend for everyone to go meat-less. You don't have to do it every day, or every meal. Cutting down meat for at least one meal in a week is good enough, not just for you but also for the environment!


Yeoh Eening

3 comments:

  1. Your meals sure look good! Especially the bottom middle one =D And yes, I agree moderation is the key. You should not make yourself suffer with drastic change or else you won't have the determination to continue doing it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Isabel! Thanks for the comment! Hope you are doing well :) I see that you are also on the healthy wagon, preparing healthy meals and all! (;

      Delete
    2. Hey Isabel! Thanks for the comment! Hope you are doing well :) I see that you are also on the healthy wagon, preparing healthy meals and all! (;

      Delete